About Me

My Photo
Better Wellbeing
Better Wellbeing is a health conscious company that believes in living a balanced lifestyle, while doing our part create a more sustainable future for all of humanity and the world at large. We love everything eco-friendly and organic, as well as sharing our knowledge and experience to help other live happier, healthier lives.
View my complete profile
Powered by Blogger.
Wednesday, January 14, 2015

postheadericon The Neti Pot

The Neti Pot


     For those of you who have never heard of or seen a Neti Pot before, this may seem a little odd. But the fact is, Neti cleansing has been around for hundreds of years, perhaps even thousands of years. Neti is the practice of nasal irrigation. It's a way of cleansing the nasal passages with purified water and salt. Neti cleansing has been used in India by Yogis and those who follow Ayurvedic practice for many years. Some see it as a way to cleanse the energy channels and balance the right and left hemispheres of the body for better health and wellness. There are more advanced techniques of using special herbs and oils, but a simple practice of using purified water with natural salt is very beneficial. 

     I like to use my Neti Pot whenever I feel like I'm starting to get even the slightest bit of congested. I'd rather try and prevent any build up in my nasal passages before I get congested and sick. Neti cleansing is safe to do on a daily basis like brushing your teeth or combing your hair. I don't personally use it every day, but I feel the benefits when I do use it. It can also be used when you already have a cold and need to clear out some of your congestion. It's very simple and easy to use once you get used to it. 

     Simply fill the pot with luke warm water; you don't want it to be too hot or cold. It will feel uncomfortable using hot or cold water. Add a dash of naturally clean salt (not ionized). Lean over your sink and place the spout in one nostril. Tilt your head to the side so that the water can gently pour through one nostril and out the other. I've learned to slightly close off the back of my throat so that I don't get water draining into my throat. I typically use about 1/4 of the water in one nostril, then switch to the other side, and repeat once more on each side. I always have a hand towel near me so that I can blow my nose out in between. See what feels right for you. 

     And lastly, after about 5 minutes of finishing with the Neti Pot, I usually end with leaning over and bringing my head to the floor for a few seconds to make sure all the water is out of my nasal passages. In the past I've been sitting around about 10-15 minutes after I'm done with the Neti and had excess water start draining out of my nose. Hanging upside down for a few moments and blowing your nose seems to get rid of any of that excess water before it comes back to drain at an awkward time. The first couple of times using it are a bit strange, since it's something new, but you'll get used to it in no time.

Better-Wellbeing sells Neti Pots and Nasal Cleaning Salt that makes it convenient and easy to practice Neti cleansing at home. 

0 comments: